People of Murree

Most hard core travelers, particularly foreigners, come up with some daisy character who came "offering them hashish, heroin, sledge, orsomething even more bizarre when they write about their travel experiences in Murree, perhaps in an effort to make their tales rich in adventure, absurdity and humour. Or they tell harrowing tales liketheir belongings stolen on gun point. Maybe they think this makestheir stories culturally more erudite. But in this very touristy area(and even during my other long hauls elsewhere), what I could come across are many kindnesses from any thing but ordinary people. I was overwhelmed by the consideration I was shown during my cross countrywalk by a humble and hospitable local Malik Nawab Khan, an ex serviceman, who offered me food. His home was in a deadbeat place, cluster ofa few houses on my way and away from any where. Exhausted, and wantingto rest my feet we settled for tea. That was one of the best and much needed hot cups of hot tea (with solid boiled eggs) that I took. Hehad told me to keep a lemon and suck on it while walking hard and longin hills. It gives strength and quenches thrust. He also said, "Tirethe mountain not yourself." I realize the folk wisdom in the advicesevery time I walk. And we still are in communication with each other.Malik Nawab remains another reason for me to visit the area more frequently.

Have you met someone interesting in Murree. Please share your experience here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment